Monday 21 March 2011

Each woman experiences pain differently.

Some people love to run. They run and it never hurts them. They start off running easily and build on that. They are focused or they are just built that way. Whatever it is, works for them. If they fall or sprain something, they see it as a part of the process. When they cross the finish line, they are overjoyed and involved and fully aware and a part of it all. Their success is a glow.

Others are afraid of running. They are going to avoid it all they can. They might get hurt, they might get cramps, it’s just too hard. They have to run a marathon and while they dread it the entire time, they do it and it hurts the entire time. There is no joy in the experience, there is only pain but deep down, they know. They did it. Anyway.

And then there is most people. Running hurts sometimes. Sometimes it doesn’t. Training can mean some ups and downs. Running can mean some shin splints, some sprains. When that marathon happens, you are somewhat prepared for it, you might even have run that race before. It doesn’t mean that you are less than the Joyful Natural runners or that you are more than those who dread and fear. You are just different. You may have days you love running, you may have days where you wish you were anywhere else and the person standing next to you could feel totally different.

I don’t think birth is going to be any different. Some people will feel no pain as others would register it, some are going to feel tons of pain, some are going to welcome it but still feel pain, others are going to dread it and feel no pain. Birth is an infinite variety and there is no defining it. All the preparation in the world cannot prepare you enough for the fact that an ever-changing, undefinable process that you are surrendering to has commandeered your body and your world. – Shannon Mitchell

This analogy fascinates me as I have two girlfriends who love to run....and I don't... or can't because of a weak back. The only thing that appeals to me about running for exercise is being outside in nature....oh and maybe the buzz it gives afterward. I have heard my girlfriends talk about hitting a wall while running and running through it. A wall being a place where you mentally and physically feel like you can't run another step. I am not sure that appeals to me. I am not sure I can or want to push myself that much when exercising.

But I do know that when I was giving birth I hit that wall many times and went through it...I knew what the prize was. I endured the pain and I actually loved the process. Expecting Mums are all so different. They all come to the birth process with different fears and anxiety. Birth is an infinite variety and there is no defining it.

I don't run but I did love giving birth. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment